Monday, August 3, 2009

Dyeing Wool


Today is my last day of holidays for a few weeks. So I am going to make the most of it. As I am writing this, I have 2 skeins of wool in the dye pots and 2 more soaking. They are all being over dyed. The first one had been dyed with koolaid and was lime green and a pinky/coral colour. It wasn't too bad but not exactly what I was looking for. So I added it to an emerald green dye. I love how it turned out with shades of dark greens (skein on the left). The other skein had been dyed with Marigolds. When I originally dyed it I had playing around trying to get it to be a darker gold colour. It turned out light yellow. I added it to a bright blue dye bath with a jar of bright yellow dye sitting in the large dye pot to get a varigated colour. It turned out a green colour (no surprise there, yellow mixed with blue = green) but it is the shade of green with the yellow that I'm not liking. At the top of the skein there is still a small amount of the marigold colour (third skein). Maybe it will grow on me. The next two skeins were added to the dye pots to exhaust the dye and both turned out an odd shade of green. They are outside drying for the afternoon. When I get home tonight I will wind them into balls and maybe knit a sample to see how they knit up. Maybe they will surprise me.

Happy knitting, I'm off to go hiking and enjoy the great weather!

No comments: