Monday, October 12, 2009

New Hat Yarn


I was in the mood to dye some wool today with Kool Aid. I had been looking through some patterns on Ravelry and came across the foliage hat pattern. Since the hat pattern only requires one ball of wool this made for a quick and easy dyeing session.

The wool is Patons Classic Wool (merino) in winter white. The colours I was hoping to end up with was a dark brown and a burnt orange. For the brown I mixed one package of strawberry, one package of grape and added a small bit of lime green. For the orange I mixed 2 packages of orange with a bit of purple. It only took 4 two minute cycles of cooking and cooling in the microwave to absorb all of the dye. Then it had a quick rinse by hand and a spin in the washer to get rid of the excess water and it is hanging to dry. The end result was close but not quite. The dark brown has a purple tinge and the orange is brighter than I had planned but I still like it and still plan on turning it into the foliage hat some time soon.

The knitting is finished on the purple sweater. Just two seams and the ends to weave in and it will be finished!

1 comment:

knitty_kat said...

You are one talented woman. I think it looks great. Can't wait to see the hat.