Tuesday, December 14, 2010
I can't show you a picture of the mitts that I am knitting just yet for a couple of reasons. 1) They are for the mitten swap we are having tomorrow night at the Knitting Goddesses guild meeting so they can't be revealed until then. 2) There really isn't too much to see yet. So I thought I would show you what I can and that is the wool that is not knit into a mitt yet which, as you can see from the scale, is most of the skein. The original skein weighed 104grams. I have only knit 8 grams.
After trying out many patterns, I have decided to knit this one. It isn't as fancy or as complicated as some of the first patterns that I looked at but I liked this one.
This is my second attempt at the first mitt. On the first try, I had the mitten over half knit before I finally admitted to myself that the pattern wasn't turning out like the picture. I did notice it earlier on but I thought maybe if I kept knitting it would work itself out. It didn't so I cast on for the other mitt and worked the cuff and left it sitting until I figured out the chart. After spending a considerable amount of time last night reading the chart, reading the line by line instructions, counting stitches, counting increases and trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, I gave up and went to bed.
When I looked at it again this morning. It made much more sense. I ripped out the first mitt, and knit a couple of rounds on the second mitt just to make sure I had my problem solved. I seem to be back on track except for this nagging feeling that it is taking me too long to get all the increases knit for the thumb gusset which will place the thumb too high up on the mitt. I am going to ignore this feeling