Thursday, December 30, 2010

Thank Goodness for Trial Runs


The mini version of the vest is finished. Or at least as finished as it is going to be right now (it has no collar or ribbing along the front or bottom). I am so glad that I did my test run on this tiny version.

It allowed me to play around with the increases and found that on the knit side the M1 worked the best and on the purl side the pf&b worked the best; and that the decreases needed to be worked on the last two sts without leaving the end st to be knit in order to have the nicest edge. I was able to do a trial run of my calculations using my row and stitch gauge along with my finished measurements to figure out where to place the arm holes and work the v neck shaping and they seem to have worked out ok with one exception. The biggest bonus was finding out that I had made a huge error in the shoulder shaping. Mr. Bear doesn't seem to mind the odd shaping but if I had knit a whole vest for myself only to discover the mistake, I would not have been a happy knitter.

If I had more time, I would test knit this again in a childs size. But, like always, time is in short supply so I am moving right on to the adult size. This version will have ribbing along the bottom, the shoulder problem fixed and will have some shaping added at the waist. Off to find some yarn.

1 comment:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Looking forward to seeing it at full adult size!