Saturday, March 31, 2012

Gauge Issues

The first knit through of my plain jane, super simple summer top is finished. The neck isn't finished or the ends sewn in because this is going to be ripped out at some point because it doesn't fit. All is not lost though because now I know what to change for the next try.


What went wrong on this sweater:
1) My gague is off. On the swatch, I measured 2 sts per inch. On the actual sweater it was closer to 1 1/2 sts. When your sts are this big, 1/2 a stitch adds up to a lot of inches too big!!
2) It is way too big
3) It is too short
4) The neck opening is too big (this relates to the incorrect gauge)
Sounds like just about everything doesn't it!

What I learned from this sweater:
1) I like the colours that I put together
2) I don't mind knitting with 15mm needles
3) 4 skeins of Super 10 cotton will knit an extra large top
4) The next version will have some waist shaping
5) Determining your gauge with large needles and stretchy knitted fabric is difficult and the best way to determine the actual size is to take the time to take your work off the needle and measure it.


Version 2 is in the works. It's smaller. I checked 3 times :)

6 comments:

Catherine said...

The yarn is perfect for summer and I love the colour, so cool. It is so annoying when things don't turn out right. I know with something like cotton you have to allow for sagging as you wear it too. I never did get my chartreuse green top to fit. I'm thinking of seaming the sides and cutting!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Sounds like you have a plan to get it fixed, and at least on huge needles it won't take to long to reknit it!

knitty_kat said...

Man that Gauge guy is a PITA! :) I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to go for a round 2, I'll cross my fingers for ya!

Rachel said...

I love your attitude regarding a failed knit...they really are learning tools but I rarely see them as such! Good luck on attempt number 2!

Kepanie said...

Oi! Sorry the gauge wasn't working to what you thought it was.
Kudos to you for paying attention and taking the time to do it right.

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Very nice color and I love the yarn ! I always, always have gauge issues. Looking forward to seeing #2.