The first knit through of my plain jane, super simple summer top is finished. The neck isn't finished or the ends sewn in because this is going to be ripped out at some point because it doesn't fit. All is not lost though because now I know what to change for the next try.
What went wrong on this sweater:
1) My gague is off. On the swatch, I measured 2 sts per inch. On the actual sweater it was closer to 1 1/2 sts. When your sts are this big, 1/2 a stitch adds up to a lot of inches too big!!
2) It is way too big
3) It is too short
4) The neck opening is too big (this relates to the incorrect gauge)
Sounds like just about everything doesn't it!
What I learned from this sweater:
1) I like the colours that I put together
2) I don't mind knitting with 15mm needles
3) 4 skeins of Super 10 cotton will knit an extra large top
4) The next version will have some waist shaping
5) Determining your gauge with large needles and stretchy knitted fabric is difficult and the best way to determine the actual size is to take the time to take your work off the needle and measure it.
Version 2 is in the works. It's smaller. I checked 3 times :)