Sunday, August 12, 2012

Wool Dyeing Day

Wow, what a fun and busy day! The Knitting Goddesses gathered at my house and we spent the day dyeing wool.

Other years at our dyeing day we have dyed with natural dyes and acid dyes. This year we used Wiltons cake icing dyes. These dyes are fun to use since you don't need a dedicated dyeing work space like you do with acid dyes. You can use your kitchen stove or microwave and baking dishes to dye with.

We skeined wool in the dining room and soaked the wool and mixed the dyes in the kitchen. There were 2 microwaves set up; one in the kitchen and one in the dining room. Then the skeins were rinsed in the bathroom sink. They were spun in the washing machine before being hung outside to dry.

All the skeins turned out wonderfully. You never know exactly what you will get when you play around with the dye colours. It is always a surprise!
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

11 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Cool! Our very first dyeing experience was with Kool-aid. Great way to teach kids too!

Mereknits said...

Lovely ladies, dyeing yarn, lots of fun if you ask me.
Hugs,
Meredith

Catherine said...

Beautiful colours and a lot of fun. I've seen silk dyeing with Kool Aid but never had the courage (time? ) to try it

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I just love seeing the rainbow colours of the skeins drying! Some day I'll have to try this!

Kepanie said...

What a fun gathering and a way to pass the time.

Kepanie said...

I nominated you for a blog award :O); pls check it out on today's post.

Jo-anne Blossy said...

I really like the colours. They look great!

Kathy at Knitting Off The Grid said...

What an amazing day that you all had. Beautiful colors!

Delusional Knitter said...

Awesome. I've used Wiltons, there are some great colors and I like that they are safe for the kitchen.

Madeleine said...

Thank you for your comment; it made me really happy! ^.^
This looks like so much fun, I really must try dyeing someday!!

Peacefully Knitting said...

Now that looks like loads of fun!