Monday, November 12, 2012

Swedish Weaving

Yesterday, my Aunt and I had a crash course in Swedish Weaving from my Grandma's cousin Norma Jean. Norma Jean has made hundreds of afghans using this embrodery technique. I have never been really interested in needlework but this got my attention; possibly because you do the weaving with yarn. We were greeted by Stedman, Norma Jean's cat. He is a Scottish Fold. Isn't he beautiful. He wasn't so sure about having strangers in his house.
Eventually, cusiosity got the best of him and he came closer to see what was going on.
Norma Jean is explaining how to read the charts to us. They are harder to follow than you first think. You find the center of your cloth and the pattern is worked in sections from the center out.
Stedman didn't let the fact that we had monks cloth and patterns piled on his chair stop him from getting comfy.
This is what we accomplished in an afternoon. Don't look too closely at it, there is a mistake in it. It has some similarities to counted cross stitch where you have to count the squares and the number of sts and at some point we counted wrong. I will never say that a knitting pattern is hard to read ever again. I highlighed the next row that is to be worked. With all the ups and downs, highlighting the row really helps to see where you are to work next.
It was fun, and I plan to keep playing with it and eventually start an actual project. But, not to worry, I won't be giving up my knitting!

7 comments:

Mereknits said...

Very fascinating, I would love to hear more about this technique.
Hugs,
Meredith

Sava said...

This is the first time I've ever heard of Swedish Weaving, I am also fascinated and would love to learn more!

Also, that cat is adorable. He looks so inquisitive.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

The chart freaks me out. I don't think I'd manage to keep my counts right. Look how gorgeous Stedman is! Here, kitty, kitty~

Pumpkin said...

Ah I love Scottish Folds! They are just so cute and I always think of Maru the Cat. I really hope you start a project with that technique, I would love to learn more about it.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Neat - Ive never seen that before! And Stedman is one handsome beast!

Samantha said...

That looks very interesting. I've never seen that before. Very cool. Steadman is too cute.

Kepanie said...

Very interesting. Oh boy would my eyes cross at that chart.