Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

 Well, 2013 is here and I have started it knitting with some wonderful alpaca yarn from Ziraldo Alpacas, a local alpaca farm just outside of London.

Isn't this this skein gorgeous!  It is their "farm yarn" which is a mix of the natural fibres from some of their different alpacas mixed with some Merino wool .


 This skein was to be knit into a cowl for my sister in law for Christmas.  This was her reaction to once again, opening a gift to find a ball of yarn, not a knitted item.  Hopefully this will change next year!


The pattern I decided to knit is Salt
Needle size - 10mm
Mods - had to omit the last 3 rows of the pattern as I was running short on yarn
Would I knit this pattern again - YES!!
Would I use the Farm Yarn again - YES!!
 
Here it is started.....


half way.....


finished.  That tiny tail was all I had left.


The fact that I ran out of yarn was totally my fault.  I knew it would be close and decided to chance it anyways.  My goal with this alpaca was to make a soft, warm cowl and that is what I ended up with so I am pleased. The yarn was a delight to knit with.  I will be in line for the 2013 farm yarn.  (Debbie, can I put in my order for 2 skeins this year!!)

Now I want to knit Salt again to get a fully finished salt cowl that shows off the wonderful lace pattern.  Check the pattern link, my version doesn't do it justice.  The designer says this is a quick knit and she is right.  This can be knit in one evening.  I think it took me about 5 hours of fairly slow, relaxed knitting time to knit this and that wasn't solid knitting time.

Maybe I can talk the soon to be new owner of this cowl to model it for us this afternoon.  If you are on facebook, check out Wildflower Wool's facebook page for more pictures.

Happy Knitting!
Louise

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!! Can't wait to try it on!!

Catherine said...

Thanks for the link to Salt - I managed to download it for free although it's Jan. 1st. I thanked the designer Kate and followed her blog and saw she is featured in Let's knit mag, which I have! Small world as we say in Ireland! So thanks again, have a serendipitous 2013 and I look forward to seeing your posts on knitting and your projects!
Catherine x

Mereknits said...

Love the cowl and the look on her face while opening up a present of a ball of yarn is priceless.
Happy New Year,
Meredith

Pumpkin said...

Oh how pretty! Alpaca fiber straight from the farm is the best, I really like how it was spun, it looks very easy to knit with. I hope you can snag some extra yarn!

Catherine said...

beautiful yarn! And a lovely choice of pattern

Kepanie said...

I love how this yarn was acquired. So cool how you have an alpaca farm a hop, skip away.