Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Double Knitting Fun

Last fall I was lucky enough to take a double knitting class in person with Lucy Neatby.  When I saw that she was teaching the Foundations of Double Knitting on Craftsy, I couldn't resist and treated myself to the class.
 

 
Three patterns are included with the class; a cell phone cozy, a larger bag with a pocket and a pair of socks.  I decided to use a ball of my hand dyed wool for the cell phone cozy.  It was a bit of a trick to get the skein wound without Luca getting tangled up in the wool.  At one point he was swinging from the swift!
 



This bag is not knit in the round but back and forth with one colour.  The trick is keeping the front and back layers separated into a tube and not to getting any of the sts connected which joins the two layers together.

 
This is a great project to start double knitting.  It is small, usable and gives you practice working the stitches and fixing your mistakes.  In my case I joined the layers together FIVE times and I am not new to double knitting.  This was a good refresher project for me and a good reminder that you have to pay close attention to your stitches. The above picture is what your knitting should look like on the inside if things are going well - not joined :) I had just fixed a mistake that's why my needle is out of my work.

 
 
I decided to hand felt my little bag this morning.  This was the first time that I have felted something without the washer or dryer.  It only took about 10 mins and was super easy.  I hung it outside to dry, added a button to it and used it tonight on my walk.  


4 comments:

Sava said...

Oh it's very cute! I've wanted to try my hand at felting (any kind of felting) but haven't gotten around to it. Good to hear it's relatively easy :)

Minding My Own Stitches said...

That picture of Luca is just hilarious! Honestly I wonder what it is that cat's think when they see yarn :)

You know I've never thought of double knitting as a substitute for knitting in the round, but I suppose it must work :)

Wanderingcatstudio said...

What a helpful little kitty you have!

Pumpkin said...

Kitty is very brave, mine would go running away as fast as she could. Wonderful felting project, it looks nice and sturdy so it should serve you well.