Monday, June 24, 2013

Knitting Goddesses June Meeting

 
Last Wednesday was our last official guild meeting date until September.  What better way to close out a great guild year than by learning Lucy Neatby's Magic Buttonholes!
 
 
I was super lucky to have taken this class in person with Lucy a couple of months ago at the Wool Boutique just outside of London. Lucy has graciously given me permission to share her techniques with my students and guild members and I knew that the Magic double band buttonholes were going to be at the top of my list because they really are magic!
 
With this double buttonhole there is no casting off and on and there is no cutting your sts to make a hole.  The picture below shows a double band that would be an edging on a cardigan with the buttonhole half finished.  The purl row in the middle of the band is the turning row and gives you a wonderful finished edge on your sweater.
 

 
The four red sts will become our buttonhole.  The green yarn secures all the stitches around our future buttonhole.

 
 
 
These Knitters I am sure are deep in thought about the number one rule when securing your stitches.  "Go back where you came from!"



and here are the finished buttonholes that look as good on the right side as they do on the wrong side!! Everyone had success learning the techniques and we had a fun night learning something new.



If you have a chance to take a class with Lucy, I highly recommend it.  The next best thing is ordering one of her DVDs or a digital copy of the DVD from her website.

Happy buttonhole making!

4 comments:

Kepanie said...

What an interesting buttonhole. I love how you're so involved in your guild.

Alyssa said...

Oh my gosh... I need to know how to do that! It's just magic :)

Pumpkin said...

That photo of everyone showing their buttonholes is just fantastic, looks like it was a great class!

Caffeine Girl said...

That looks way hard! What a great group you have.