Friday, September 27, 2013

2 Needle Socks

 
Has anyone else ever knit a pair of socks on straight needles?  A few of us from our Knitting Guild decided to give it a try using the patterns in this book by Alice Curtis. 
 

This is the pair of socks from the first pattern in the book using one 100g ball of worsted weight yarn.  My pair is knit from Patons Classic Wool that I hand dyed this summer.

 
 
Using only one ball of yarn and 4mm needles they knit up in no time at all. They are knit cuff down and the above picture was taken after the heel was turned.
 



Once the foot and toe are knit the final step is to crochet the seam together.  The crocheting makes a smooth seam and a nice design feature.

 
These were fun and simple to knit and don't be afraid of the crocheting that is required.  After a little practice on my first sock that I pulled out a couple of times (I am not much of a crocheter!),  I was happy with the final result.
 
This book is filled with great patterns knit with sock yarn and I can't wait to cast on a pair!

4 comments:

Mereknits said...

That idea just might make me want to make socks again. Thanks for posting.
Hugs,
Meredith

Caffeine Girl said...

Those are actually quite cute. However, I hate seaming. I'm sticking with my dpns!

Kepanie said...

Whoa! Interesting construction. I like how the crocheted seam gives a nice detail to the sock design!

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Those are cute socks! And I love the hand-dyed yarn. The perfect one skein project :)