Thursday, March 27, 2014

An Arm Knit Cowl

 
Has everyone else been seeing this arm knitting everywhere? One of the Knitters in our Monday night group had seen a demonstration and had a pattern for a cowl so we thought we would give it a try.  Yes, you really do use your arms in place of knitting needles! 
 
The pattern called for super bulky yarn.  I decided to use 3 strands of worsted weight and 1 strand of chunky held together.
 

I cast on by using the backwards loop method (still not my favourite cast on)

 
Then began "knitting" by holding the working yarns in the hand of the arm that the stitches were on and lifting the stitch on the arm over the working yarn held in that hand and let the old stitch drop. A new stitch was made with the yarn being held in the hand and that stitch was put onto the other arm.
 
Once you get your rhythm figured out it goes really quickly and is fun.  The pattern called for the cowl to be knit 60" long then seamed together.  It also said that this could be done in approx. 30 mins.  From the time of the first cast on stitch to the last end being woven in, it took me 50 mins to knit this cowl.  Not bad huh? Go to knitting, start and finish a project and wear it home :)
 
 

5 comments:

Kepanie said...

That's a great outcome!

andi said...

That is so fun looking.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Neat!

Mereknits said...

I love it! I have seen some videos on it and I am very intrigued.
Hugs,
Meredith

Delusional Knitter said...

I did see that the other day - very cool!!