Friday, April 18, 2014

April Guild Meeting

This past Wednesday night was the monthly guild meeting for the Knitting Goddesses.  We always have a great night and this month was no exception.

We always start off the night with show and tell.  Rebecca had finished another beautiful shawl.


I did a short demonstration on Lucy Neatby's Navaho knitting technique.  This lets you knit from one ball using 3 strands of yarn.  It's a neat trick to have in your knitter's tool bag.



The last hour of the meeting was spent on arm knitting.  I'm sure you've all heard about this by now.  It seems to be the newest knitting trend.  To be honest, when I first started seeing this pop up on facebook, knitting blogs and twitter I wasn't all that interested and thought I would rather spend my time on "real" knitting. 
 
As the saying goes, never say never!  I ended up helping another Knitter figure out arm knitting at our Monday night group and you know what, it was fun! 


 
Earlier in the week I had challenged the Goddesses to bring some yarn to give arm knitting a try and knit a cowl before the end of the meeting.  I knew a lot of them had felt the same as I did about this new fad and I has happy to see that most were up for the challenge!  Everyone picked out 4 balls of worsted or chunky weight yarn and I passed on all the info that I had learned about arm knitting (there isn't much to know!) and we were off and knitting.


At the end of the hour this is what we had finished.  Once you get the hang of what you are doing a cowl can easily be knit in 30 mins. 


What does everyone else think about the idea of arm knitting? 

5 comments:

Delusional Knitter said...

I thought the same thing at first with the arm knitting and I typically don't jump on fads, but I am willing to try it (and I'll probably think its great).

Kepanie said...

I have it pinned but haven't tried it yet. That shawl was very pretty.

Mereknits said...

I have not tried arm knitting yet but I just might now, it looks like fun.
Hugs,
Meredith

Caffeine Girl said...

I'm not convinced, but I'd probably feel differently if I could join the Goddesses!

kathy b said...

IM impressed by your arm knitting!