Monday, August 11, 2014

Another Fun Summer Weekend!

 
This past weekend was spent just outside of London at the Elgin County Heritage show.  This heritage show, or steam show like my Grandparents used to call them, has been an annual event for 38 years. I remember coming to this same show years ago with my Grandparents to spend the day wondering through farm machinery exhibits and demonstrations but my favourite part of the show was the seeing all the handwork in the ladies tent.  Now quite a few years later, I'm able to take part in the ladies program by demonstrating knitting.  Hopefully I'll be able be spark interest in today's children about the love of knitting.
 
On my way into the show each morning I took some pictures before the crowds arrived.  Of course there were lots of tractors.  This orange Allis-Chalmers reminds me of my Grandpa's tractors that he farmed his entire life with once switching from using workhorses.
 
 
There was also a car show

 
One vendor had this amazing display of Tea Spoons.  I had never seen or heard of these before.  Apparently they were used to spoon loose tea.  The designs were amazing.
 
 
Laundry anyone??
 
 
Lemonade was being sold from the reconstructed water tower.  There was also pony rides for the kids and live music on the outdoor stage.  From where we were set up we were able to enjoy the live music all weekend.

 
The ladies area of the show was set up inside of this 1834 log cabin. Lets take a look at the amazing work that was going on in here all weekend long.
 

There was quilting,

 
chair caning,


 
lace making - tatting, bobbin and needle lace
 



here is a close up of the bobbin lacing making in progress

 
This quilt is a sampler of various lace techniques which included knitting, crochet, tatting, netting and battenburg lace.  It was beautiful!
 

 This lace piece is made by netting and has a crochet border
 

 there was traditional rug hooking,
 

and of course knitting.  I spent the weekend knitting lace and a moebius shawl. There was lots of interest in both projects.  There is always amazement at the tiny yarn and needles used for the lace and surprise at how a moebius is knit!  The best part of the weekend is always the chats I have with other knitters and the men and ladies who don't knit but have stories to share about their Grandmothers, Moms or wives who knit.
 
 
 
As if this doesn't sound like a perfect weekend already, with 3 days of dedicated knitting time you get a lot of knitting done.  I started my second ball on this moebius shawl and the lace knitting is well on its way.  I did a lot of "demonstrating" how to start a shawl in the round until I found a pattern that I was happy with.
 
I hope everyone else had a fun filled knitting weekend!
 


4 comments:

DropStitchChris said...

Wow Louise!! Great post…wonderful pictures too! I wish I could have made it out at some point this weekend, it looks like it was really fun.

Mereknits said...

It sounds like an excellent weekend to me.
Hugs,
Meredith

Amy at love made my home said...

It looks and sounds as though you had a wonderful time!! xx

Wanda said...

Great post, Louise, and lively photos too!