Tuesday, June 2, 2015

How to Fringe

I have a finished shawl!  There is just one thing left to do.  Add the fringe.  I got comfy in the living room, turned on the baseball game and got to work.  If you haven't done this before, I took some pictures to show you what I did.

Cut your yarn twice as long as you want the fringe to be, I cut my pieces 8 1/2" or 22 cm.


Dig out an appropriate sized crochet hook that will hold the number of strands you are using for the fringe. My pattern called for 5 strands of the worsted weight yarn and I used a 4.5mm hook.


With the right side of your knitting facing you, insert the crochet hook from the back to the front


Gather the number of strands you will be using and hold in half over the hook


Pull the strands through, adjust the ends if needed to be even


Pull the yarn tails through the loop


and snug up the yarns


You can decide how close together you want your fringe.  I left 3 sts between mine.  At anytime you can undo a fringe if you need to make adjustments.  It's really pretty simple, I hope you give it a try!




1 comment:

Brian Baker said...

I might just put a fringe on top of my surrey!