Tuesday, June 16, 2015

My Learning Gloves

This glove knitting workshop was offered at one of our local yarn shops, Little Red Mitten. Joan had brought in an amazing local instructor, Catherine Forbes to teach us how to knit gloves that fit. These are the very first pair of gloves that I've knit.  I learned so much by knitting these and even though they are full of mistakes I LOVE them!!


I truly believe that the best way to learn is through our mistakes.  If I were to list all of the mistakes learning opportunities I had while knitting these gloves, this is what I would tell you:

*  They are too big.  I knew after the first few rounds that my 2.25mm needles were too big and therefore so was the glove.  But my intention was never for this to actually become a glove.  I thought it was just going to be a sample, something to learn on so I carried on.


* There were holes at the base of some of the fingers.  I followed Catherine's instructions for some (no holes) and then I played around with how to pick up sts and where doing my own thing for the others (holes). You have a yarn tail at every finger so I was able to darn in my holes.  Easy fix.


*  Not all my knitted fingers are the same size.  Part of what we learned from Catherine was her magic formula for making everything fit.  This works great if you can count.  Apparently I got confused with one finger because it is 2 sts smaller.  Again, I carried on after all what's 2 sts?  Well, on a finger it does make a difference.  I added the extra sts to the next finger and then worked 2 extra decreases.  (By this time I had also decided that I had put too much knitting into this glove to pull it out and I was going to knit these for myself.)

*  I messed up the placement of the bead on the first glove.  See what I mean.

off center
centered
I put the bead on the st right in the center of the flower but the bead sits one row lower. Ooops.   So on glove number two I placed the bead one row above center and it sits perfectly.   Everytime I look at my gloves I'll remember.  I won't be doing this again.

*  I cast off each glove using a different technique.  One has a tighter cast off.  This was just the regular conventional cast off. The other one has a looser cast off that makes the edge want to curl up.  This was Lucy Neatby's Modified Conventional Bind Off.  I find it faster to do and it does give you a much stretchier edge if that is what you are looking for.


*  I'm super happy with the cuff that I added to the glove.  My original plan was to knit an intarsia pattern in the round using a technique by Anne Berk.  In the end I decided to do a fair isle pattern and I'm glad that I did.  The stranded knitting really pulled in my knitting and the cuff fits great which makes the rest of the glove fit better too.

a look at the wrong side of the fair isle knitting

 *  The last thing I learned is that I will most definitely be knitting gloves again!
  


5 comments:

Rebeca said...

Great "Learning Gloves"and so many invaluable learning experiences in one knitting project.
You did a wonderful job Louise!

Brian Baker said...

Awesome-looking gloves! And just in time for summer!!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I always say those "learning opportunities" are what makes handmade things so special!
They look great!

kathy b said...

They are lovely even if they are big. Having just knit 10 pairs of simple mittens, I am doubly impressed

Hannah said...

These are beautiful! I love the fair isle flowers on the cuff