I truly believe that the best way to learn is through our mistakes. If I were to list all of the
* They are too big. I knew after the first few rounds that my 2.25mm needles were too big and therefore so was the glove. But my intention was never for this to actually become a glove. I thought it was just going to be a sample, something to learn on so I carried on.
* There were holes at the base of some of the fingers. I followed Catherine's instructions for some (no holes) and then I played around with how to pick up sts and where doing my own thing for the others (holes). You have a yarn tail at every finger so I was able to darn in my holes. Easy fix.
* I messed up the placement of the bead on the first glove. See what I mean.
* I cast off each glove using a different technique. One has a tighter cast off. This was just the regular conventional cast off. The other one has a looser cast off that makes the edge want to curl up. This was Lucy Neatby's Modified Conventional Bind Off. I find it faster to do and it does give you a much stretchier edge if that is what you are looking for.
* I'm super happy with the cuff that I added to the glove. My original plan was to knit an intarsia pattern in the round using a technique by Anne Berk. In the end I decided to do a fair isle pattern and I'm glad that I did. The stranded knitting really pulled in my knitting and the cuff fits great which makes the rest of the glove fit better too.
|a look at the wrong side of the fair isle knitting|
* The last thing I learned is that I will most definitely be knitting gloves again!