Sunday, July 12, 2015

Destashing is harder than it sounds

I think I fooled myself into believing that destashing my yarn would be easy.  My plan was simple, if I hadn't looked that the yarn in years and if I didn't have a pattern in mind for it then it should go.  Sounds simple enough. Should be easy to do right? Just open a tote, follow my rules and it should be a simple keep it or get rid of it.  WRONG.

This is what I found in one tote.  Most of it is lace weight (1 vote for keeping it), it is all crazy expensive stuff (2 votes for keeping it) and check out the fiber content - camel, silk, cashmere, alpaca, mohair, buffalo and merino (3 votes for keeping it).  So much for my rules because I haven't looked at it in the last year and I have no idea what I'm going to knit with any of it.





I put it all back and moved onto something easier to get rid of - dishcloth cotton.  I'm all for knitting dishcloths but I think I can part with some of these small balls (large balls are still on the shelf unsorted)


This was much easier to sort through.  Over half is boxed up ready to move onto a new home.  This still leaves me lots to knit for myself and Christmas.  One smart Knitter on facebook suggested knitting them up for a church bazaar which I think I will do too.


Now to think about what to look through tomorrow.  Sock yarn maybe.....

5 comments:

Jill K. said...

I went through this earlier this year. It is so very hard to part with fiber. I love fiber. Bought it instead of souvenirs when traveling. Have many memories attached to them. I decided that if it wasn't luxury fiber or something I'd use for 'giveaway' knitting that the fiber needed to find a new home. This was still difficult because my fiber budget has decreased at a time my taste has become greatly refined - and when I've been convicted of having too much stuff (faith perspective at Lent)! I did offer some for sale, some to charity knitters and reduced/reorganized my staff by about a quarter. Good luck!

Jill K. said...

*stash not staff. No staff to reduce!

Andrea @ This Knitted Life said...

No easy feat. Keep the lace yarn as long as you don't buy more until it is gone. Pinky swear.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Destashing IS hard! If you aren't knitting with the lace yarn and don't plan to, then maybe it would make sense to list it for sale or trade on Ravelry? Those are some awesome fibres but they'd just languish at my house. I'm not a shawl knitter, and even if I were it'd be fingering weight rather than lace.

I'm still struggling with what to do with a large amount of 100% wool suitable for felting projects. I've made some felted slippers and a felted cat bed, but now I'm at a loss!

tunnizze creation said...

Quite exotic yarns!! Keep them well!! These yarns are very hard to come by in nigeria!!! Much later you will find them useful!!!