Wednesday, September 2, 2015

It's All About Your Perspective :)

Right now I'm not sure if I should be feeling lucky or upset.  

As I told my daughter, this is the first time this has happened to me and I don't know how I feel about it.  She was holding her breath waiting for me to tell her what happened today that I thought had been so terrible.  Well, she was practically rolling on the floor laughing when I was finally able to say the words out loud.  I was given a senior's discount today.

Three of us decided to check out a tent sale this afternoon.  There wasn't anything that I needed but when you drive an hour to get there you really should buy something, right?




There was lots of yarn, cross stitch and beading kits, etc. on sale and I fell in love with the colour of this crochet thread  and couldn't resist. 


 It wasn't until we were driving home that I started thinking about what I paid for the yarn including taxes was less than the price on the sign in the tent.  I still didn't think anymore about it.  It was a tent sale.  Things get discounted - that's the purpose of a tent sale.  Then I looked at the receipt.  


Then I googled the stores Senior's Day.  Yup, it was today.  The first Tuesday of the month,  for everyone 50 and older.  Now that I think back there was a bus from a retirement home pulling into the parking lot the same time as us.  I'm guessing they knew about the Senior's Day.

So in the end, I saved some extra money and gave my daughter a good laugh.  She assured me that I look fine and don't look any older than 41 (I'm 46) and that the sales lady probably hit the discount button out of habit.  Then she begged me not to go crazy with any mid life crisis stunts while she is still living with me.

Now that I can laugh about this I'm thinking that either way you look at it I should have bought more yarn.  On one hand I got a great discount so I should have bought more than 3 balls and on the other hand it seems that some extra comfort yarn would make me feel better about the whole situation ;)  I guess there are some bonuses to getting older!

Now I'm thinking about my friends that were with me.  Were they lucky enough to get the same discount?

6 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Funny we used to love being carded when ordering alcohol! Gavin's not a senior yet, but he'll try for that discount whenever he can!

Brian Baker said...

After an hour in the car, I feel very MUCH like a senior! Then again, I almost am....

Wanderingcatstudio said...

My father had a heart attack last month (a mild one - he's ok) and I've been teasing him ever since about doing "seniors water ballet" (since they recommended exercise, but he has joint issues). I had a really good laugh when I pointed out that he is actually eligible for the Seniors discount at the rec centre (discount starts at 55 and he turns 57 this year).
I'm 36 this year, and I still get carded for alcohol - every dang time. Then I get "There's no way you're that old!"

Rebecca said...

Yes Louise - I got the discount too!

Simply Playing said...

Oh that is too funny! And my guess is your daughter is right the checkout person probably is hitting that Senior Discount button all day and did it out of habit. And, yes you should have bought some comfort yarn ;)

Mereknits said...

Good for you getting the sale and having the last laugh as you are only 46. I am 51 and would have loved that discount.
Hugs,
Meredith