Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The First Day of Fall

Since today is the first day of fall it seems like a good time to show you the hat I knit on the weekend.

Yarn - Bernat Multi-ply
Needle -  5.5mm 16" circular (I would use a larger needle next time)
Pattern - no pattern used



To figure out how many stitches to cast on I knit a gauge swatch, measured how many stitches to the inch I was knitting (3), decided I wanted my hat to be 18" around, multiplied 18x3=54 sts.  I cast on 50 so the ribbing would be nice and snug, knit k1, p1 for 1 1/2", increased 4 sts and knit in stocking stitch until the hat measured 7" then worked the decreases every other round until I had 8 sts left.  It is super simple and I ended up with a hat that fits perfectly.





3 comments:

Abbie said...

What a great hat! I love that red color. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

karen said...

beautiful hat!! and I love the shore photo :) I didn't to go to any form of water and kind of wish I did.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

And it looks fabulous with your sweater!!!