Saturday, November 14, 2015

I Learned to Weave!

A few weeks ago, myself and three other Knitting Goddesses took a learn to weave class at Little Red Mitten.

I was secretly hoping that I wouldn't like it. I wanted to be able to say that I'd tried it, learned the basics, didn't really care for it and would rather stick with my knitting. Boy was I wrong. I LOVED it!

The wool I used for my very first weaving project was a wool/alpaca blend. Everyone else picked bright, fun colours but not me. I went with brown.

We learned how to determine the width of our scarves by finding out how many wpi (wraps per inch) our yarn was - a lot like knitting a gauge swatch. We determined which heddle size was the best for our yarn - similar to picking your needle size. Then we worked in pairs to warp the loom. This really is a two person job. I'm going to have to find a way to do it by myself. I'm sure some wonderfully smart person has devised a way to make this possible and I'm hoping they posted it on YouTube so I can find it!

Then came the fun part, actually weaving. We got started in class and then went home with our looms to practice for the next week. I think we all went home and stayed up late that night weaving. We had a great week messaging each other with our progress and sharing pictures.

This was a really fun class and I know Wanda, Caitlyn and Danielle enjoyed it as much as I did. Next post I'll show you what we did in our last class, weaving with two colours and lace patterns! And to think I might not have like this??? I have no idea what I was thinking!

5 comments:

Dizzy said...

I always enjoy learning new crafts...glad to see you're having fun with it!

karen said...

how exciting!! I haven't tried that craft yet, but it looks like fun :)

Caffeine Girl said...

You are on an experimenting streak lately! Weaving always sounded somewhat tedious to me. I bet you are right and that it is fun -- which is why I'm staying away from it!

Andrea @ This Knitted Life said...

Oh wow. I have always wanted to learn to weave but I am not allowed to take up any new hobbies for a bit. I can't keep up with the ones I already have!

Mereknits said...

As you know I am a big weaving fan, so glad you learned all about it and had a great time. Hugs to you,
Meredith