Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Painting with Fibre

In my last post I talked about discovering needle felting at the Knitter's Frolic in Toronto and promised that I would let you know about the fibre artist I met at the show.

Well, meet Wendo, the  fabulous needle felter that got me hooked on this new craft.  Wendo does many types of fibre arts but her booth at the show was just dedicated to her needle felting.  She obviously loves her work and her excitement for it was contagious.  I was addicted as soon as we started talking. She has a background in animation and it shows in the faces and expressions she gives to her creations.

a hippo in a tutu
The show was super busy but I did manage to get a few quick shots of some of her work between crowds of people.


a rhino and a zebra

a pretty laid back tiger

These pigs and sheep are so cute!  I would never have though to use golf tees for the legs.  Take a close look at the sheep's feet!


And then there are my first attempts.  The birds is one of the kits I bought at the Frolic.  I don't think it turned out too bad for my first try.


My second attempt was a card for my Mom for Mother's Day.  I played around layering colours and added some embroidery embellishments as well.


My third attempt is this flower picture.  I'm by no means artistic and I no talent for drawing or painting but that is what this is like; painting with fibre and I'm really liking it.  This needle felting is fun, relaxing (as long as you keep your fingers away from the felting needle!) and fairly simple.  If you are looking for something new to do, my suggestion is to give needle felting a try. 


Wendo mentioned that she will be teaching at the Woodstock Fleece Festival in October.  I'm definitely going to take her class and visit her booth to stock up on more materials.  Until then I'll keep playing around and see where my creativity takes me.

Thanks Wendo for the inspiration!



2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I've done a little needle felting and it was fun, but I found it a little tedious - too bad too - because you can make some really cool things if you stick with it!

kathy b said...

Very fun to see the animals and all she has created. Keep showimg us your projects too